State National Staff Accountant
Company: Markel Corporation
Posted on: June 9, 2021
What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
The Program Accountant will be responsible for the accounting
functions relating to State National's Fronting operations. The
clients assigned to a Program Accountant are considered routine or
run-off and require basic knowledge of Program Manager/Reinsurer/
- Prepare data, upload data and research any upload errors for
all programs. Key exhibits that do not require upload.
- Follow up on all program reporting and payment
- Send and monitor receipt of special reporting requests
(Statutory, Premium Tax, Schedule P, Audit, Assessments). Reconcile
data received to system.
- Manage payment of assessments and assigned risk, allocate
invoices by program, obtain signatures, checks and mail assessment
forms/payments to the state.
- Invoice assigned risk amounts and maintain aging
- Reconcile accounts associated with both assessments and
- Manage assigned Program Managers including but not limited to,
contract analysis and management, risk analysis, monthly quarterly
and annual reporting and receivables.
- Complete the reconciliations of accounts related to your
assigned programs and audit testing on the timetables agreed to by
program management and internal audit.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Products including
but not limited to Excel
- Knowledge of accounting software applications
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still
acquiring higher level knowledge and skills
- Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and
- Solves a range of straightforward problems
- Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction
- Good attention to detail
- Good decision making and judgement skills
- Good organization and time management skills
- Strong commitment to task assigned
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting in process, completion of
Financial Accounting II required
- Previous accounting experience not necessarily required
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.
Keywords: Markel Corporation, Bedford , State National Staff Accountant, Other , Bedford, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!