What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
The Senior Program Accountant will be responsible for the
accounting functions relating to the assigned program managers,
assessments, and assigned risk. The program managers assigned to a
Senior Staff are considered highly complex and require expert
knowledge of Program Manager / Reinsurer / Company
- Review all data entry and cash posting entries related to their
assigned programs once processed by the support staff.
- Follow up on all program reporting and payment
- Send and monitor receipt of special reporting requests
(Statutory, Premium Tax, Schedule P, Audit, Assessments).
- Reconcile and validate all data received from their assigned
- Perform trend analysis on all underwriting data related to
their assigned programs on a monthly basis.
- Review and approve all reconciliations related to their
assigned programs as processed by the support staff.
- Review and approve all Invoice assigned risk and miscellaneous
invoices once processed by the support staff.
- Manage assigned Program Managers including but not limited to,
contract analysis and management, risk analysis, monthly quarterly
and annual reporting and receivables.
- Read, review and interpret complex reinsurance/program
manager/company treaties to include but not limited to
proportional, excess and facultative reinsurance treaties.
Determine all calculations and financial statement impacts along
with proper accounting treatment of all entries.
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Develop working relationships with internal and external
- Mentor other staff by sharing knowledge of insurance accounting
and financial reporting
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Products including but
not limited to Excel
- Knowledge of accounting software applications
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline
- Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and
- Solves a range of complex problems
- Analyzes possible solutions to complex issues
- Receives a minimal level of guidance and direction
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong decision making and judgement skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong commitment to task assigned
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 preferred
- Minimum 3 years Insurance accounting experience, 5
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.